Wendy Reed
Wendy Reed, Enrolled Agent
Experience:  15+ years tax preparation and tax advice.

can I take medical expenses that I pay for my son who is a

can I take medical expenses that I pay for my son who lives in a resident group home for steadfast. He is receiving social security disability payments.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Wendy Reed replied 5 years ago.

Thank you for giving me the opportunity to assist you. I will give the best answer that I can with the information provided.

Hello there,

Does youcover more than 1/2 the cost of his support? The reason I am asking is that in order to deduct medical expenses, the person that you pay them for must either be your dependent, or a person that would be your dependent expect that he/she makes more than the exemption amount ($3650--not counting SS disability payments). If your son does not live with you, in order for him to be a dependent you would need to pay more than 1/2 the cost of his support.