Zip Taxes
Zip Taxes, Tax Preparer
Experience:  CTEC Licensed / Mgmt Experience with H & R Block... Self Employed since 1986 Experienced in all Scheds
55051512

If Im a full time student, living in my parents house and

Customer Question

If I'm a full time student, living in my parents house and they pay for my schooling and living expenses. How can I keep my parents from claiming me as a dependent on their taxes next year? I'm getting married secretly and they can't know for a couple years. What I need is a legitimate reason to give them so that they can't claim me.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Zip Taxes replied 5 years ago.

Zip Taxes :

Thank you having the trust to answer your question. When answered to your satisfaction be sure to hit ACCEPT. TIPS are welcomed / good deeds come back

Zip Taxes :
  • First of all, you may not like my answer my question to you and my answer: The question I'm going to ask you are not needing to be answered to me, but yourself.
Zip Taxes :

Why not tell your parents?

Zip Taxes :
  • How Old are you?
Zip Taxes :
  • Getting Married, when ?
Zip Taxes :

First of all, your parents can only claim you up to 25 yrs old providing that they are supporting you and either you live with them or in seperate housing.

Zip Taxes :

If you are working and you pay taxes, you can ask your parent for yourself to take the exemption since you will get more money back and yet they can still deduct that school expenses on their taxes.

Zip Taxes :

There is no way you can hide it if you take the exemption. For example, let's say on January 15, 2012 you go into a Tax Office and E-File your Taxes and Claimed yourself or You

Zip Taxes :

Claimed Married

Zip Taxes :

When your parents file, they will get a "reject" on their efile when they claim you and they will have to take you off their taxes to in order to complete their taxes.

Zip Taxes :

They will NEVER know the nature of your filing or or you Status. Meaning, they wont know if you filed single or married.

Zip Taxes :

But I live to learn in my life, it's better not to live with secrets and hear the stuff now then later it jumps out at you and the issue of trust is greater.

Zip Taxes :

I know, you must be in love and maybe your parents don't agree with the decisions you want to make and they may want to cut you off, you will need to prepare yourself because if you love someone that much, you must be willing to make the sacrafice to stand by the one you love.

Zip Taxes :

So I alway say, stand in front of your bride and take the hit if you love her or him.

Zip Taxes :

Thank you