Zip Taxes
Zip Taxes, Tax Preparer
Experience:  CTEC Licensed / Mgmt Experience with H & R Block... Self Employed since 1986 Experienced in all Scheds
55051512

What is the tax value of two cochlear freedom processors, controllers,

What is the tax value of two cochlear freedom processors, controllers, cables & coils and other cochlear accessories?
Category: Tax
Expert:  Zip Taxes replied 3 years ago.

Zip Taxes :

Thank you having the trust to answer your question. When answered to your satisfaction be sure to hit ACCEPT. TIPS are welcomed / good deeds come back

Zip Taxes :

You would take the value FMV of the product... such as this is a medical device and get a valuation of it. The tax value = the FMV (FAIR MARKET VALUE)

Zip Taxes :

My question is, how are trying to tax the product?

Zip Taxes :

is it's a medical deduction

Customer:

We donated my deceased father's cochlear implant and they gave us a letter saying we did such but said we needed a tax advisor to tell us how much to claim?

Customer:

It was less than two years old

Zip Taxes :

Ahh, I see, you would be safe a 50% value

Customer:

Im just nervous about it because the cost new was $4K so you're saying we could claim $2K?

Zip Taxes :

Just be sure to have some pricing for new ones in your file as research

Zip Taxes :

yes, you are okay

Customer:

Can I ask how you came up with 50%?

Zip Taxes :

The Research is what can save you... if you have documents to show that they are 4,000

Customer:

is that because of how new it was? I.E. less than 2 years old

Zip Taxes :

It's the depreciated value

Zip Taxes :

Did you donate to a specific charity?

Customer:

yes

Customer:

We donated it to the place that installed it

Zip Taxes :

I see

Customer:

University of Colorado

Customer:

Audiology clinic

Zip Taxes :

Then schools fall under the 50% catagory for public

Customer:

Sorry to belabor the point but does 2 years use follow a general depriciation scale

Zip Taxes :

Are you using a tax software?

Customer:

Turbo Tax

Zip Taxes :

It's the institution that you donate to that dictates the tax deduction

Customer:

its deductible wants to find it on ebay and they don't sell the implants on ebay. only accessories

Zip Taxes :

When you are on your Sched A on Turbo Tax, you can click on the amount under churches, schools etc...

Zip Taxes :

yes, I don't think you can find that on ebay

Zip Taxes :

wow

Zip Taxes :

that would be something

Customer:

OK. Yeah its not your avg donation.

Customer:

but they're so dang expensive and he barely had it before he died that we figured some needy person could use it.

Zip Taxes :

but anyway because it's only two years old and not 10, it's worth 50%

Zip Taxes :

oh absolutly

Customer:

Thanks for your help. I'll find the reciepts and claim 50% of the value.

Zip Taxes :

You still have the bill when you purchased it?

Customer:

I'm sure my mom has them

Zip Taxes :

yes, find that receipt.

Zip Taxes :

just file it

Zip Taxes :

no need to prove it

Customer:

ok. Anything else you can think of

Zip Taxes :

Turbo Tax has a Audit Protection Program you may want to use to if you worry

Customer:

good thought

Zip Taxes :

it's a peace of mind that will be best

Zip Taxes :

I'm thinking

Zip Taxes :

IRS knows that you just can't find it on Ebay or some Classified... the receipt would be good enough and reducing it by 50% keeps you in the safe zone, if you go 80%, it may raise a RED flag.

Customer:

ok. thanks so much for your help!

Zip Taxes :

Referring to a Medical Product.

Zip Taxes :

You are very welcome

Zip Taxes, Tax Preparer
Experience: CTEC Licensed / Mgmt Experience with H & R Block... Self Employed since 1986 Experienced in all Scheds