Richard, Tax Attorney
Experience:  29 years of experience as a tax, real estate, and business attorney.

My son is living and teaching in Thailand. He earned $8,000

My son is living and teaching in Thailand. He earned $8,000 in 2010 as an English teacher in Thailand. He did not live in the USA, he did not earn any money in the USA and did not pay taxes in the USA in 2010. Does he need to file an income tax return?

Marilyn Dreessen [email protected]

Good afternoon. Yes...if he is a U.S. citizen, his income earned in Thailand is subject to be taxed in the U.S. But, his standard deduction and personal exemption aggregate to an amount equal to $ at $8,000, he doesn't meet the threshold necessary to owe taxes and thus he need not file.

I hope this has given you the guidance you were seeking. I wish you the best of luck!

If you have a follow-up question, please remember that there might be a delay between your follow up questions and my answers because I may be helping other clients or taking a break.

If I have adequately answered your question, even though the answer might not have been the one for which you hoped, I would appreciate it if you would please click the GREEN ACCEPT button so that I receive credit for my work; otherwise, though you have made a deposit, I do not receive credit.

If you need additional clarification on this question after clicking ACCEPT, please do not hesitate to click Reply and I will be happy to do what I can to help you further. Thanks for allowing me to be of service to you.

The information given here is not legal advice. As all states have different intricacies in their laws, the information given is general only. This communication does not establish an attorney-client relationship with you. I hope this answer has been helpful to you.