Richard, Tax Attorney
Experience:  29 years of experience as a tax, real estate, and business attorney.
17027240

I MADE A MISTAKE ON LAST YEARS TAXES AND PAID AN ADDITIONAL

I MADE A MISTAKE ON LAST YEAR'S TAXES AND PAID AN ADDITIONAL $1,800 TO THE FED & $258 TO IL STATE. CAN THAT BE CLAIMED ANYWHERE ON THIS YEAR'S TAXES? I FILE A FORM 1040 WITH A SCHEDULE A.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Richard replied 5 years ago.

Good afternoon. Actually, what you need to do is to file amended returns for last year for both your Federal return and your Illinois state return. You will then receive refunds. You are not allowed to correct it on a later year's return.

I hope this has given you the guidance you were seeking. I wish you the best of luck!

If you have a follow-up question, please remember that there might be a delay between your follow up questions and my answers because I may be helping other clients or taking a break.

If I have adequately answered your question, even though the answer might not have been the one for which you hoped, I would appreciate it if you would please click the GREEN ACCEPT button so that I receive credit for my work; otherwise, though you have made a deposit, I do not receive credit.

If you need additional clarification on this question after clicking ACCEPT, please do not hesitate to click Reply and I will be happy to do what I can to help you further. Thanks for allowing me to be of service to you.

The information given here is not legal advice. As all states have different intricacies in their laws, the information given is general only. This communication does not establish an attorney-client relationship with you. I hope this answer has been helpful to you.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I ALREADY FILED AN AMEDNED RETURN! THE MONEY I PAID - $1,800 TO FED & $258 TO STATE WERE FROM AN AMENDED RETURN. CAN I CLAIM ANYWHERE ON THIS YEAR'S TAXES THE EXTRA TAX MONEY I PAID FOR LAST YEAR?
Expert:  Richard replied 5 years ago.

No...the additional taxes you paid last year due to the amended returns would not be deductible on this year's return....just as any tax you paid last year are not deductions on this year's return. I'm sorry!