Richard, Tax Attorney
Experience:  29 years of experience as a tax, real estate, and business attorney.

My husband and I are professional classical musicians---we

Customer Question

My husband and I are professional classical musicians---we perform and teach for a living. Most of what we do is self-employed. We currently do much of our work from home. We are considering renting a separate office space to teach in and meet clients. The rent would be $400 per month.

Will we be able to write the entire $400 off as a business expense since it is only used for our music business? Do we need to be come an LLC?
Category: Tax
Expert:  Richard replied 5 years ago.

Good afternoon. Yes, you could write the entire $400 off...and you don't need to form an LLC for can simply report your income and expenses on Schedule C and then it will roll over into your 1040.

I hope this has given you the guidance you were seeking. I wish you the best of luck!

If you have a follow-up question, please remember that there might be a delay between your follow up questions and my answers because I may be helping other clients or taking a break.

If I have adequately answered your question, even though the answer might not have been the one for which you hoped, I would appreciate it if you would please click the GREEN ACCEPT button so that I receive credit for my work; otherwise, though you have made a deposit, I do not receive credit.

If you need additional clarification on this question after clicking ACCEPT, please do not hesitate to click Reply and I will be happy to do what I can to help you further. Thanks for allowing me to be of service to you.

The information given here is not legal advice. As all states have different intricacies in their laws, the information given is general only. This communication does not establish an attorney-client relationship with you. I hope this answer has been helpful to you.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thank you!

What tax benefits are there to forming an LLC?
Expert:  Richard replied 5 years ago.

There really aren't any tax benefits to having an LLC...the operations just flow through to the there aren't any negative aspects....but the only reason you would form a LLC is to limit your liability ... which would protect your other assets from liabities of your business...but teaching music lessons is not likely to result in any potential I doubt the expense of forming an LLC would be worth it to you.