Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4
Experience:  15years with H & R Block. Divisional leader, Instructor
14155347

Im using TurboTax for my MN tax return. Its returning $0

I'm using TurboTax for my MN tax return. It's returning $0 as taxable income. That can't be right!?!?
Category: Tax
Expert:  Robin D. replied 3 years ago.

Robin D :

Hello and thank you for using Just Answer

Robin D :

We are not with TurboTax but I would be happy to try and assist you with your problem

Robin D :

Are you filing a resident or a nonresident return?

Customer:

Resident

Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4
Experience: 15years with H & R Block. Divisional leader, Instructor
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Again, Resident.

Expert:  Robin D. replied 3 years ago.

Ok One minute let me look at the forms.

Expert:  Robin D. replied 3 years ago.
We have left the chat so this is going to be a little more difficult to communicate. Can you see the actual MN form and not just the summary? If so what is listed as your Federal Taxable Income (line 1) on the M1 Form?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
80103
Expert:  Robin D. replied 3 years ago.
Ok, how about the lines from 5 - 9? These would subtract from the amount and then compute the MN taxable. Anything on them?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Yes, that's the crux of the issue. Line 8 (Other Subtractions) shows $80103, our entire taxable income from M1M via M1NC.
Expert:  Robin D. replied 3 years ago.
Ok then all you have to do is go back into the return and get that out of there.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Really? Come on. Look at form M1NC. I have no entries for lines 1-11. Line 15 is 0 because I didn't have to do a recomputed 1040. Line 16 is 80103, my federal taxable income. Line 18 subtracts line 15 from line 16 for my subtraction amount, which would be my entire taxable income. That can't be right.
Expert:  Robin D. replied 3 years ago.

Turbo Tax is having a HUGE problem with this portion of their program.

Here is what TurboTax has to say about it.

"We have determined that this is caused by a 0 (zero) entry on the Federal taxable Income for Minnesota Tax Purposes screen. Please go back through the interview section and ensure that information entered is correct.

A product update was released on 3/05/2011 that provides additional information regarding Federal Taxable Income."

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Okay, I understand Turbo Tax is having an issue. Let's pretend I'm filling it out myself. I still have the same situation. If I don't have a recomputed 1040, what should the amount on Form M1NC line 15 be? It can't be 0.
Expert:  Robin D. replied 3 years ago.

The Turbo TAx program is using a Line that does not exist any longer. If you follow the instructions you are to enter $0 on Line 15 and the the true amount of Fed on Line 16. This then would result in your carrying the amount (basically the entire Fed Taxable over to Line 36 of the M1M and subtracting it out of MN income.

"Update: A bill signed into law on March 21, 2011 eliminates the need for line 36.Skip line 36 and continue with line 37"
Try to work around by entering the Fed Taxable on Line 15 and 0 on line 16 the program may then read as addition.

If line 15 is more than line 16, subtract line 16 from line 15. Enter the result as an addition on line 17 of Schedule M1M

Expert:  Robin D. replied 3 years ago.
This is not an approved work around from Turbo Tax but they just keep advising user is not do something correct.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Ah, at last it becomes clear. Please send me the link of the update, so I can get my money back from Turbo Tax for my MN return. Thanks.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thanks. I think I already paid my $30?
Expert:  Robin D. replied 3 years ago.

You did ,and I sincerely hope you will be able to deal with Turbo Tax on your problems.

Thank you again,