Richard, Tax Attorney
Experience:  29 years of experience as a tax, real estate, and business attorney.

A cottage was willed to my sister and me as a gift by my mother

A cottage was willed to my sister and me as a gift by my mother when she died in 1947. As The cottage is in Michigan and I moved to Norway (europe) in 1970. As I have only used the cottage 4 times during this years, my sister has now bought me out - but we divided the taxes and insurance in the meantime. I have to report this transaction as Capital gain on my 2010 tax return. How do I figure the tax rate? I am an American citizen so file a return every year because I have a savings account and some stock in the US, as well as a pension (Social security)
Category: Tax
Expert:  Richard replied 5 years ago.

Hi there. You would have a capital gain based on the amount you sold your interest to your sister for less your basis in that interest. Your basis would be the value at the date of inheritance plus any subsequent improvements made. Your tax rate then would be: i) if your marginal income tax rate is 0% to 15%, then you would owe no capital gain tax; ii) otherwise, you would owe 15% on the gain.

I hope this has given you the guidance you were seeking. I wish you the best of luck!

If you have a follow-up question, please remember that there might be a delay between your follow up questions and my answers because I may be helping other clients or taking a break.

If I have adequately answered your question, even though the answer might not have been the one for which you hoped, I would appreciate it if you would please click the GREEN ACCEPT button so that I receive credit for my work; otherwise, though you have made a deposit, I do not receive credit.

If you need additional clarification on this question after clicking ACCEPT, please do not hesitate to click Reply and I will be happy to do what I can to help you further. Thanks for allowing me to be of service to you.

The information given here is not legal advice. As all states have different intricacies in their laws, the information given is general only. This communication does not establish an attorney-client relationship with you. I hope this answer has been helpful to you.