How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lev Your Own Question
Lev, Tax Advisor
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 28081
Experience:  Taxes, Immigration, Labor Relations
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Lev is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I live in MD my husband lives in va. We have been speerated

Resolved Question:

I live in MD my husband lives in va. We have been sperated since our daugther has been 4 weeks old (she just turned 2 yrs old) He has give me very little towards her care. For the past 2 years I have filed married but seperate. I am getting ready to offically file. He wants me to amend my taxes for the past 2 years and I do not feel comfortable doing it as we do not get along and he does not really give me any support in any way what so ever. Please advise what is best. thank you
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Lev replied 5 years ago.

Hi and welcome to Just Answer!

As long as you are legally married - you may file a joint tax return if you both agree.

You may however file a separate tax return either as Married Filing separate (MFS) or as Head of Household (HOH) if you qualify.

To qualify for the HOH filing status - you should not live together with your spouse at least last six months of the year and have a qualified dependent living with you (your would qualify). You also need to provide more than haft of your household support.


If you do not feel comfortable to file a joint tax return - I suggest not to do so. Please be aware that if you do - you will be jointly liable for any tax liability resulted from that tax return.

However before you decide - I suggest to fill forms both ways and compare - it is possible that filing jointly will result in better refund, but there will be an issue how the refund will be divided - so you might want to an agreement before filing.

If you are using any tax preparation software - there should be an option to compare MFJ via MFS. If there is no difference or a difference is not substantial - you might better to file separately.


Please let me know if you need any help with estimations or any other clarification.


Customer: replied 5 years ago.
However, since I have already filed I would have to amend...I do not understand how that would work considering I have already gotten my money back. Also, I am saying that he contributed to my daugther's care in some way if we file jointly. He is an attorney and I feel that he wants to claim her on paper (and he makes more $ then me) it'll look like he contributes when we go to court. Or does this not matter?
Expert:  Lev replied 5 years ago.

You may file amended tax return to change the filing status form MFS to MFJ - to do so - you should use the form 1040X -

Please be aware that you will not be amend your tax return to change to MFS after April 15, 2011.

The fact of filing a joint tax return may be used in the family court depending on your circumstances - but I am unclear if that will provide either of you any advantage as you are living separately any way. Generally the tax refund is divided equally unless there are other considerations.

If you will negotiate the amount of child support - that will likely based on yours and your spouse's income - and not on the fact of filing a joint tax return.

If your spouse's income is large enough - most likely he will benefit from filing a joint tax return - but to be precise - we need to estimate possible tax refund either way.

The main reason why you might want to amend your tax return - if your part of the tax refund will be larger. That is why I suggest to estimate before you could decide.

Lev, Tax Advisor
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 28081
Experience: Taxes, Immigration, Labor Relations
Lev and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • I really was impressed with the prompt response. Your expert was not only a tax expert, but a people expert!!! Her genuine and caring attitude came across in her response... T.G.W Matteson, IL
< Previous | Next >
  • I really was impressed with the prompt response. Your expert was not only a tax expert, but a people expert!!! Her genuine and caring attitude came across in her response... T.G.W Matteson, IL
  • I WON!!! I just wanted you to know that your original answer gave me the courage and confidence to go into yesterday's audit ready to fight. Bonnie Chesnee, SC
  • Great service. Answered my complex tax question in detail and provided a lot of additional useful information for my specific situation. John Minneapolis, MN
  • Excellent information, very quick reply. The experts really take the time to address your questions, it is well worth the fee, for the peace of mind they can provide you with. Orville Hesperia, California
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C. Freshfield, Liverpool, UK
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex Los Angeles, CA
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP Hesperia, CA

Meet The Experts:

  • Wallstreet Esq.

    Wallstreet Esq.

    Tax Attorney

    Satisfied Customers:

    10 years experience
< Last | Next >
  • Wallstreet Esq.'s Avatar

    Wallstreet Esq.

    Tax Attorney

    Satisfied Customers:

    10 years experience
  • Mark D's Avatar

    Mark D

    Enrolled Agent

    Satisfied Customers:

    MBA, EA, Specializing in Business and Individual Tax Returns and Issues
  • Richard's Avatar


    Tax Attorney

    Satisfied Customers:

    29 years of experience as a tax, real estate, and business attorney.
  • Robin D.'s Avatar

    Robin D.

    Senior Tax Advisor 4

    Satisfied Customers:

    15years with H & R Block. Divisional leader, Instructor
  • Megan C's Avatar

    Megan C

    Certified Public Accountant (CPA)

    Satisfied Customers:

    Licensed CPA, CFE, CMA, CGMA who teaches accounting courses at Master's Level
  • jgordosea's Avatar


    Enrolled Agent

    Satisfied Customers:

    I've prepared all types of taxes since 1987.
  • R. Klein, EA's Avatar

    R. Klein, EA

    Enrolled Agent

    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 20 Years experience