Experience:  over 40 years experience in tax matters

I live in New Jersey and work for a company in New York City.

I live in New Jersey and work for a company in New York City. 30% of my work time is spent in Massachusetts. In which states do I have to file income tax?

Welcome to Just Answer. I am here to help you resolve your tax and finance concerns. Please feel free to ask anytime you need extra help.

You will need to file a New Jersey return because you live there. Your NYC job income will be taxed by NJ but you are able to take a credit on the NJ return for taxes paid to NYS/NYC.

You will be need to file a NY return (including NYC) because that is the source of your income.

You will not be required to file a Massachusetts return because you are only there on temporary assignment for your NYC job and your income source is not from Mass.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Thank you.
I have not filed tax returns in New Jersey in past years but have made estimated payments quarterly using coupons provided for the purpose. Who should I contact to sort out the past error and avoid (if possible) penalties?
If you do not owe tax or if you are due a refund there will be no penalties. As to whom to contact, you have choices - you can retain a CPA to help you or you can prepare the returns yourself. If you chose to prepare the returns yourself I recommend using a software rather than the old pencil and paper method.Free software is available from a few sources. One I like is although there are many others. Prior years software is still available.