Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor
Experience:  Taxes, Immigration, Labor Relations
870116

If I am a foreign national selling property is California as

If I am a foreign national selling property is California as a short sale, am I still subject to firpta withholding of 10%? Technically I still own the property, however there will of course no proceeds due me at closing.

If I am exempt what form would I provide to escrow evidencing this? The firpta withholding form sent by escrow seems not applicable, as I am unable to answer any the questions.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Lev replied 3 years ago.

LEV :

Hi and welcome to Just Answer!

LEV :

The withholding tax is intended to ensure that the IRS will be able collect income tax on the gains realized on the sale of such interests.

LEV :

According to the Foreign Investment in Real Property Tax Act of 1980 (FIRPTA) a US real property interest by a foreign person (the transferor) is subject to income tax withholding - income tax responsibility is determined upon filing a tax return - and if there is no income tax responsibility - all withholding would be refunded.

LEV :

Persons purchasing US real property interests (transferee) from foreign persons, certain purchasers' agents, and settlement officers are required to withhold 10% of the amount realized (special rules for foreign corporations)

LEV :

There are exemptions from FIRPTA mandatory withholding - see here - http://www.irs.gov/businesses/small/international/article/0,,id=102254,00.html

You are not exempt from withholding - but as long as you do not expect any payments due to you - there will not be FIRPTA withholding and you are correct - the exemption form would be useless.

Customer:

Thank you for the response.

Customer:

I will not receive any proceeds through the sale, however the escrow company maintains that an affidavit of non-foreign status form be completed prior to closing in order to verify is withholding is required. I either need to return this form or some other document evidencing that I am exempt in order for escrow to provide same to the Buyer. I am advised that if no form is received then escrow will withhold 10%.

Customer:

To further complicate things, this is a short sale and all charges have been approved by my existing lender of record (i.e. closing costs, commissions etc.). Escrow is stating that since I technically still own the property that the FIRPTA withholding is applicable. Therefore, they would have to go back to the lender for another approval, which probably will not fly. I doubt my lender would accept the large withholding amount to be sent to the IRS. Please advise of this.

LEV :

In most situation FIRPTA withholding exemptions is included in the sale contract - means the buyer/transferee agrees with exemption.

LEV :

The form f8288b may be used if any exemption may be applied and you decide to use it regardless if there is a taxable gain on the sale - while the buyer might have no any knowledge about seller's capital gain and tax reporting requirements.

Lev, Tax Advisor
Experience: Taxes, Immigration, Labor Relations
Expert:  Lev replied 3 years ago.
What Happens Now?

Your chat has ended, but you can still work with your Expert to get an answer to your question if you have not yet received one.

Come back to this page at any time to see additional information from your Expert.  You will also receive an email when your question is updated.  If you want to send a message to your Expert, use the box below.

If you have already received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Accept button above.  Experts are credited for each accepted answer they provide.