Richard, Tax Attorney
Experience:  29 years of experience as a tax, real estate, and business attorney.

My brothers and sisters and I are recipients of properties

My brothers and sisters and I are recipients of properties and monies from a pour over will and trust.
The house is closing soon and the Title Company is wanting to issue 1099 to each of us for the sale of our parents home.
Doesn't that mean those monies would then have to be declared as taxable income? If so, that contradicts other information that I have been told. Should the Title company be writing the check to the Trust account instead? That is what it was designed for. The property is less than 2 million dollars and the trust became fully active in 2010.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Richard replied 5 years ago.

Good evening. No, you need not worry at all. There is no tax to you. First, there is no estate tax upon the death...and the basis in the property gets increased to its fair market value at death. The 1099 only indicates that proceeds were distributed to you. You take that amount and report it on Schedule D as the proceeds received. But, you take the stepped up basis as the basis, with no resulting gain and therefore no tax.

I hope this has given you the guidance you were seeking. I wish you the best of luck!

If you have a follow-up question, please remember that there might be a delay between your follow up questions and my answers because I may be helping other clients or taking a break.

If I have adequately answered your question, even though the answer might not have been the one for which you hoped, I would appreciate it if you would please click the GREEN ACCEPT button so that I receive credit for my work; otherwise, though you have made a deposit, I do not receive credit.

If you need additional clarification on this question after clicking ACCEPT, please do not hesitate to click Reply and I will be happy to do what I can to help you further. Thanks for allowing me to be of service to you.

The information given here is not legal advice. As all states have different intricacies in their laws, the information given is general only. This communication does not establish an attorney-client relationship with you. I hope this answer has been helpful to you.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
so should the title company write the checks to each one of us directly or to the trust account?
Expert:  Richard replied 5 years ago.
They can write the checks to each of you individually.