CGCPA
CGCPA, CPA
Experience:  over 40 years experience in tax matters
50756543

MY WIFE AND I ARE K1 PARTNERS IN A REAL ESTATE APPRAISAL BUSINESS.

Customer Question

MY WIFE AND I ARE K1 PARTNERS IN A REAL ESTATE APPRAISAL BUSINESS. WE HAVE NO EMPLOYEES. WE RUN ALL EXPENSES THROUGH THE PARTNERSHIP EXCEPT BUSINESS MILEAGE WHICH IS PART OF OUR AGREEMENT IN THE PARTNERSHIP. TURBO TAX HANDLED ALL THE DEDUCTIONS ON THE FEDERAL SIDE BUT THE SCHEDULE E DEDUCTIONS DID NOT TRANSLATE TO THE PA STATE FORMS. MUST THIS BE ENTERED MANUALLY? AND IF SO WHAT FORMS DOES PA REQUIRE TO DEDUCT UNREIMBURSED PARTNERSHIP EXPENSE FOR MILEAGE?
Category: Tax
Expert:  CGCPA replied 3 years ago.

Welcome to Just Answer. I am here to help you resolve your tax and finance concerns. Please feel free to ask anytime you need extra help.

If the Schedule E data for PA did not transfer properly you may need to either reinstall the software or enter the amounts manually. Try the reinstall first (after saving you data of course). You may have experienced a glitch on an earlier install. The mileage expenses should be recorded on the Federal Schedule E so there will be no additional forms needed for those.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

THE SOFTWARE IS INSTALLED CORRECTLY. SO I WILL HAVE TO MANUALLY ENTER THE IINFORMATION ONTO WHAT FORM?

WHAT FORM DOES PA USE TO ENTER UNREIMBURSED PARTNERSHIP EXPENSES SUCH AS MILEAGE?

Expert:  CGCPA replied 3 years ago.

The PA form for unreimbursed travel expenses is PA Schedule UE. It can be accessed at the state website: http://www.portal.state.pa.us/portal/server.pt/community/personal_income_tax/14692

I am not saying you installed the software incorrectly. I am saying that the software's auto install may not have behaved as it should because the transfer of data to the state forms should be automatic. That is why I recommended a reinstall. If the reinstall does not work you should input the data manually. It goes onto PA Schedule E for PA form 40 which is also available at the state website if you need it. Sadly, we are seeing an inappropriate number of individuals experiencing problems with TurboTax this year. If you reinstall there may also be a patch to correct this.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

This still does not answer my question about which form to put the UPE on.

Does it go on PA 40 schedule C ? The reinstall which I did made no difference.

Remember my wife and I are K1 partners and have no wages or 1099 income; all we earn is K1 income from the partnership. Schedule E for PA form 40 is for rental or royalty income. You need to be much more specific before I would agree to pay $45.

Expert:  CGCPA replied 3 years ago.

We actually did address the UPE issue earlier. It gets reported on PA Schedule UE. Rental activity is reported on Schedule E for PA 40. Only rental activity (income and expenses) get reported there.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
PA schedule UE is for employees who have unreimbursed expenses such as mileage etc... the schedule is for W2 or 1099 income not K1. Please try again.
Expert:  CGCPA replied 3 years ago.
I have opted out so that another expert can attempt to assist you.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I am not trying to be an A-hole. The software will not let me take the deduction on the state for UE. The only place I see that I could take the deduction would be a PA schedule C. Sorry you felt you had to opt out.

Expert:  CGCPA replied 3 years ago.
Software can at times be excessively rigid. Perhaps the next expert will be able to help you over ride this.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

That's fine. I just fould some information on the PA Dept of Revenue site that says specifically;

" Sole proprietors, partners, shareholders, or other self-employed individuals do not use PA Schedule UE to claim expenses.

My question still remains. What form or schedule do I use? I hope someone can help me out on this.