Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor
Experience:  Taxes, Immigration, Labor Relations
870116

My wife has been on disability for all of 2010. I believe

Customer Question

My wife has been on disability for all of 2010. I believe it is through social security now and the small % remaining is paid by her old employer. No taxes out of this all year, what can we do in this situation, I make a good living, but not well enough to cover her disability income...thoughts?
Category: Tax
Expert:  Lev replied 5 years ago.

LEV :

Hi and welcome to Just Answer!

Customer :

Hello

LEV :

If you are filing a joint tax return - your income, deductions and withholdings will be combined.

Customer :

I have had some suggest filing separate, can we do this successfully?

LEV :

If your spouse receives social security benefits - part of that might be taxable.

LEV :

Filing separate returns might be an option - but to be precise - we need to fill forms both ways and compare.

LEV :

I may do a raw estimate for you if you give me numbers.

Customer :

She does receive ssb and in 2010 was aprox 40k. My salary is significantly higher than that and want to bring all ideas to the table to minimize or eliminate owing (as we all do right??). So, I didn't know if there was exceptions or if separate would be a benefit. If we could do separate, I would need to itemize all under me including children, yes?

LEV :

You decide how to file - a joint or separate tax returns - however by filing separately - you will not be able to claim some credits. If you provide me amounts of your income and deductions - I will estimate your refund both ways. Otherwise - either may be better.

Customer :

Gotcha; I can give the basics now, but don't have all information to be too precise.

Customer :

Income

LEV :

$40,000 seems too high for social security disability benefits. If you have the form SSA-1099 - please verify what they reported.

Customer :

I should have had all information before I started this...love it...my apologies. OK, how can I continue later when I get home with information in front of me? Or is that even an option...?

LEV :

take your time... more precise information - better estimate.

Customer :

For her I know she was on long term with her employer then it transitioned to government benefits. I will try to call her and get more precise info, do I save and exit then come back to this later? How does it work?

LEV :

You may come back any time. I might not be immediately available - but surely will reply.