CGCPA
CGCPA, CPA
Experience:  over 40 years experience in tax matters
50756543

My exwife was my dependent for the entire fiscal year of 2009.

My exwife was my dependent for the entire fiscal year of 2009. She did not work at all. When I filed for taxes that year she wanted half after we seperated. Am I obligated to give it to her.
Category: Tax
Expert:  CGCPA replied 5 years ago.

Welcome to Just Answer. I am here to help you resolve your tax and finance concerns. Please feel free to ask anytime you need extra help.

Although you are not legally obligated to split the refund with her, you may find it practical to reach an agreement to give her some portion and let it be done with.

Perhaps the easiest way is to calculate your refund withhout claiming her and compare that refund to the actual refund you will receive. That is truly the portion applicable to her.