Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor
Experience:  Taxes, Immigration, Labor Relations
870116

I am disabled wheelchair/housebound, living in Scotland- 67

Customer Question

I am disabled wheelchair/housebound, living in Scotland- 67 yrs old US citizen and just received notice that my 09 filing was incorrect- demanding substantial repayment... what should I do?
Category: Tax
Expert:  Lev replied 5 years ago.

LEV :

Hi and welcome to Just Answer!

LEV :

The notice your received should have an information what exactly were incorrect (according to the IRS) in your 2009 tax return. Can you re-read the notice and provide more information here?

Customer :

It relates to "changes to your income and deductions"; other income, social security and sale of stocks.

LEV :

Generally - if you agree with corrections made by the IRS - you do nothing and pay additional taxes. If you disagree - you need to file an amended tax return, calculate the amount you owe and pay that amount. If you completely disagree with additional tax liability - you may send the letter to the IRS with explanation and if your reasons will be accepted - they will send you a confirmation. So far these are options.

LEV :

If you will be able to provide more information - I might be able to suggest specific actions.

Customer :

I'm disabled- difficult for me to type- my wife will respond for me later- thank you

LEV :

No problem... take your time... please provide as much information as possible and I will try to help you the best I could. Please do not post any personal information.