CGCPA
CGCPA, CPA
Experience:  over 40 years experience in tax matters
50756543

MY WIFE INCORRECTLY FILED HER RETURN. SHE IS A CAREGIVER,

MY WIFE INCORRECTLY FILED HER RETURN. SHE IS A CAREGIVER, PREPARED BY A TAX PREPARER, AND FILED A 1099, SELF EMPLOYED. SHE HAS PAID HER TAX AND FILED ALREADY. INSTEAD OF US FILING JOINT/MARRIED RETURN SHE FILED ONLY FOR HERSELF, LEAVING ME TO FILE SEPARATELY, AND INCURRING A HUGE TAX DEBT BECAUSE I WORKED TWO JOBS IN 2010. ANY SUGGESTIONS ON WHAT I CAN DO TO UNDO THIS?
Category: Tax
Expert:  CGCPA replied 5 years ago.

Welcome to Just Answer. I am here to help you resolve your tax and finance concerns. Please feel free to ask anytime you need extra help.

You can file an amended return to correct to married joint status. The starting point will be her return since it has already been filed and then your income/deductions/credits will be brought into the scenario. You should do this before April 18th to avoid any penalties if you still owe taxes.