Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4
Experience:  15years with H & R Block. Divisional leader, Instructor
14155347

Re Form 2555 Foreign Earned Income for 2010 In 2010, I worked

Re: Form 2555 Foreign Earned Income for 2010
In 2010, I worked for 3 different employers. One employer is based in the US and I worked for them at their location in Saudi Arabia for 3 months. I was tax exempt from US taxes with that company. I also worked for A British University in Kazakhstan for 3 months. Lastly, I worked for British Aerospace Systems in Saudi Arabia for 4 months in 2010. Is it possible to list all these employers on the 2555?
Thanks for any comments!
Category: Tax
Expert:  Robin D. replied 5 years ago.

Robin D :

Hello and thank you for using Just Answer

Robin D :

If you are a US citizen or resident alien (green card holder) then you are taxed on WorldWide income. All the income you earned while out of the US should be shown on your return. The foreign earned income exclusion and the foreign housing exclusion or deductions are claimed using Form 2555, Foreign Earned Income, which should be attached to the taxpayer’s Form 1040. A shorter Form 2555-EZ, Foreign Earned Income Exclusion, is available to certain taxpayers claiming only the foreign income exclusion.

All your income for 2010 that was earned abroad should go on the 2555, provided you meet the physical presence test. YOu are to file only one 2555 for the total wages and earned incoem you had for any one tax year

Customer:

I qualify for the physical presence test when I'm on foreign assignment, since I haven't been in the US for 6 years. When I'm not on assignment, I live in Thailand. The 2010 form 2555 I reviewed requests US and/or foreign address of the company I worked for. I completed a form 673 and W-4 for the American company (Booz Allen Hamilton/ASE) I worked for in Saudi Arabia for one and a half months in 2010. The other two companies, ie British Aerospace and University College London (British) didn't require the completeion of any tax documents. It's still not clear to me if I have to list the names of the companies on the 2555 and declare whether they are US-based or not. Should I just list the 3 companies without addresses on the 2555 and the total earnings in US dollars, or list the 3 companies without adresses and list the total earnings for each? Or, should I just list the 3 companies without addresses and only declare the total amount of earnoings as one entry for the income?

Robin D :

List the 3 companies on the 2555 list the US address of the US corp and then the 3 addresses for each. You must list all but since you only have one with an actual US address jsut make sure you keep them in the same order

Customer:

OK. I'll ist the names and addresses of all 3 companies. For the US company, should I only list their US address? Also, should I list my earnings seperately for each in US Dollars? What can I do if I run out of space on the 2555?

Robin D :

If the US company also has a foreign address then you need to include that with the 2 foreign company's addresses too. You will list the total income on the 2555 (in US dollars). You will need to abbreviate well if you think you will run out of space. Let me see if I can get you a sub W2. On it you can list the exact income and if you are mailing your return include a copy if you e-file then just keep the copy for yourself.

Robin D :

One minute

Robin D :

http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f4852.pdf
Just hand fill out one of these for each employer, even the US employer if they did not issue you a W2. This way you do not need to rely on memory if you are required to explain anything in the future.

Robin D :

Did you have any other questions?