Anne, Master Tax Preparer
Experience:  Enrolled Agent with 25 Years Experience specializing Individual and Small Businesses

I have 2 clients whom are married to each other. They are separated.

I have 2 clients whom are married to each other. They are separated. For one client, I filled Head of household with the children. Is it okay to file married filling separately for the second client?
Category: Tax
Expert:  Anne replied 5 years ago.

Thank you for using justanswer. Not only is it ok, assuming that the other spouse met the criteria for using the Head of Household filing status, unless the other spouse also meets the same requirements for filing head of household (for example, they had 2 children, 1 of which slept at the father's home for at least 1 more day than at the mother's, and the other slept 1 day longer than that at the mother's making them both head of households) it is the ONLY filling status open for the other spouse, unless they choose to file jointly, which is always an option until they are divorced.

I hope this helps.