How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Wendy Reed Your Own Question
Wendy Reed
Wendy Reed , Enrolled Agent
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 3346
Experience:  15+ years tax preparation and tax advice.
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Wendy Reed is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My domicile is Seattle, WA. I meet the following conditions

Resolved Question:

My domicile is Seattle, WA. I meet the following conditions for residency in WA:
- location of all of the taxpayer's residential real property
- claim the homeowner's property tax exemption on a residence
- file federal tax returns and claim WA as the state of residence (WA has no state income tax, so I don't file a state return.)
- bank and savings accounts are all in WA
- checking & credit card accounts are all in WA
- maintain membership in WA social organizations & church
- auto registered in WA
- WA driver's license
- registered to vote in WA
- obtain medical services in WA

I have an employment contract with a company that ends in 2013 and am currently working out of my home. The company is relocating its design team from Valencia, Spain to San Francisco in support of a sporting event to be held in 2013, and I will be working in an office in San Francisco. I intend to rent an apartment on a month-to-month basis and return to Seattle permanently at the conclusion of my employment.

In addition to my employment contract, I receive a military pension and a pension from a WA aerospace firm. There is also the possibility of consulting income in WA state.

Does a two-year contract constitute a temporary purpose for the purpose of determining residency for California tax purposes?

If I return to WA on a regular basis such that I spend less than 6 mo in CA and work from my home the other 6+ months, am I considered a CA resident?

If I spend more than 6 mo but less than 9 mo in CA, will I be considered a nonresident for CA tax purposes?

If I file in CA as a non-resident, will my pensions be taxed?
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Wendy Reed replied 5 years ago.

Thank you for giving me the opportunity to assist you. I will give the best answer that I can with the information provided.

I can assist you with this and give you references. CA does not consider you a resident if you are there for temporary or transitory purpose. However, if you are assigned to CA workplace for a "long or indefinite" period of time, you will be considered a resident. CA does not define "long"---but does have a presumption of residency when an individual remains in CA for greater than 9 months. It is my feeling that a 2 year contract would be considered by CA to be "long" and that for that time they would consider you a resident.


I have some resources for you that show examples (although not your situation exactly)


If you worked from home (WA) for 6 months you would not be considered a CA resident for that period.

If you stayed in CA between 6-9 m onths, that would still be considered temporary.


Please let me know if I can assist you further.



Wendy Reed, Enrolled Agent
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 3346
Experience: 15+ years tax preparation and tax advice.
Wendy Reed and 3 other Tax Specialists are ready to help you

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • I really was impressed with the prompt response. Your expert was not only a tax expert, but a people expert!!! Her genuine and caring attitude came across in her response... T.G.W Matteson, IL
< Previous | Next >
  • I really was impressed with the prompt response. Your expert was not only a tax expert, but a people expert!!! Her genuine and caring attitude came across in her response... T.G.W Matteson, IL
  • I WON!!! I just wanted you to know that your original answer gave me the courage and confidence to go into yesterday's audit ready to fight. Bonnie Chesnee, SC
  • Great service. Answered my complex tax question in detail and provided a lot of additional useful information for my specific situation. John Minneapolis, MN
  • Excellent information, very quick reply. The experts really take the time to address your questions, it is well worth the fee, for the peace of mind they can provide you with. Orville Hesperia, California
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C. Freshfield, Liverpool, UK
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex Los Angeles, CA
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP Hesperia, CA

Meet The Experts:

  • Wallstreet Esq.

    Wallstreet Esq.

    Tax Attorney

    Satisfied Customers:

    10 years experience
< Last | Next >
  • Wallstreet Esq.'s Avatar

    Wallstreet Esq.

    Tax Attorney

    Satisfied Customers:

    10 years experience
  • Mark D's Avatar

    Mark D

    Enrolled Agent

    Satisfied Customers:

    MBA, EA, Specializing in Business and Individual Tax Returns and Issues
  • Richard's Avatar


    Tax Attorney

    Satisfied Customers:

    29 years of experience as a tax, real estate, and business attorney.
  • Robin D.'s Avatar

    Robin D.

    Senior Tax Advisor 4

    Satisfied Customers:

    15years with H & R Block. Divisional leader, Instructor
  • Megan C's Avatar

    Megan C

    Certified Public Accountant (CPA)

    Satisfied Customers:

    Licensed CPA, CFE, CMA, CGMA who teaches accounting courses at Master's Level
  • jgordosea's Avatar


    Enrolled Agent

    Satisfied Customers:

    I've prepared all types of taxes since 1987.
  • R. Klein, EA's Avatar

    R. Klein, EA

    Enrolled Agent

    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 20 Years experience