Richard, Tax Attorney
Experience:  29 years of experience as a tax, real estate, and business attorney.
17027240

If personal use of a company car is reported on W-2 box 14,

If personal use of a company car is reported on W-2 box 14, is that amount subject to tax in addition to what is reported as wages, tips or other compensation in box 1?

Good afternoon. Yes, that amount would indeed be includible in income and subject to tax.

I hope this has given you the guidance you were seeking. I wish you the best of luck!

If you have a follow-up question, please remember that there might be a delay between your follow up questions and my answers because I may be helping other clients or taking a break.

If I have adequately answered your question, even though the answer might not have been the one for which you hoped, I would appreciate it if you would please click the GREEN ACCEPT button so that I receive credit for my work; otherwise, though you have made a deposit, I do not receive credit.

If you need additional clarification on this question after clicking ACCEPT, please do not hesitate to click Reply and I will be happy to do what I can to help you further. Thanks for allowing me to be of service to you.

The information given here is not legal advice. As all states have different intricacies in their laws, the information given is general only. This communication does not establish an attorney-client relationship with you. I hope this answer has been helpful to you.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
So the amount reported as a fringe benefit (personal use of company car) was not included as other compensation in Bob 1 of the W-2? If reported separately where on from 1040 would it be reported?
It should not have been reported twice...to make sure you should contact your employer. It would be miscellaneous income.