Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor
Experience:  Taxes, Immigration, Labor Relations

can I claim my sister who is on SSI as a dependent.

can I claim my sister who is on SSI as a dependent.   She gets 940. a month from SSI.  She lives with me and only pays for her food, clothes etc.  She doesn't pay for heat, water, electric, cable etc. , I do.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Lev replied 3 years ago.

LEV :

Supplemental Security Income (SSI) is not taxable for your sister - so generally as long as she has no other income and other requirements are met - you may claim her as a dependent.

LEV :

For requiremenst - see IRS publication 501 page 12 - Table 5. Overview of the Rules for Claiming an Exemption for a Depend

LEV :

To determine if you are providing more than half of your sister's support - please fill on the page 20 - Worksheet 1. Worksheet for Determining Support

LEV :

If you do - you may claim her as a dependent for tax purposes.

LEV :

Let me know if you need any help or clarification.

Customer:

So her SSi is not considered gross income?

LEV :

That is correct - because it is not taxable it is not included into her gross income for dependency eligibility purposes. See in teh same publication page 17 - Gross income defined. Gross income is all income in the form of money, property, and services that is not exempt from tax.

LEV :

Because Supplemental Security Income (SSI) is not taxable - it is not included into the gross income.

Customer:

But I will have to put her SSI on line 1 of the worksheet for determing support. right?

LEV :

Yes - that is correct - for support test these money should be considered as used for her own support.

Customer:

wow by that I can't claim her then. That doesn't seem right she doesn't pay rent or any other bills. She just buys her own food, clothes and personal needs.

LEV :

The matter is = if she provided more than half of her own support - or you provided more than half of her support. All expenses should be considered including housing, utilities, but if there are several persons living in your home - all common expenses should be divided between these persons to determine her support.

LEV :

If she gets $940*12 = $11280 of her own funds and spends all for her own support - you may claim her as a dependent if you provided more than $11280 for her support - including rent, utilities and all other expenses that you paid for her.

Customer:

That's alot so I can use my mortgage, lights, oil

LEV :

You may use all expenses that you paid for her. If you have some common expenses - for instance utilities and there are two persons in your household - half will be treated as paid for her support. Here is a reference to teh IRS publication I mentioned above - just in case you need it - www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p501.pdf

LEV :

If you own the home - you will use the fair rental value of the home - see line 6b worksheet on the page 20.

Customer:

ok I think that is all I need.

Customer:

thank you

LEV :

You are welcome. Let me know if you need any help now or in future. Be sure to accept the answer - that is the only way experts are credited.

Lev, Tax Advisor
Experience: Taxes, Immigration, Labor Relations