BK-CPA, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Experience:  Owner of a CPA firm

i am married filing jointly. my husband owes back child support

Customer Question

i am married filing jointly. my husband owes back child support so i want to file injured spouse form to recieve my portion of income tax return. i am on soc sec disability and do not have to file taxes on that this year. The only other income that I had was from student loans. am i eligible to file injured spouse form?
Category: Tax
Expert:  BK-CPA replied 5 years ago.
You can view this answer by clicking here to Register or Login and paying $3.
If you've already paid for this answer, simply Login.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Relist: Answer quality.
I did not recieve the answer to the question that I asked. I already told him that I am married filing jointly which is the only thing that they told me to do. how do i get my money back?
Expert:  BK-CPA replied 5 years ago.

Hi there!

"If you filed a joint return and you're not responsible for the debt, but you are entitled to a portion of the refund you may request your portion of the refund by filing Form 8379 (PDF), Injured Spouse Allocation. .. Attach Form 8379 to your original Form 1040 (PDF), Form 1040A (PDF), or Form 1040EZ (PDF) or file it by itself after you are notified of an offset."

It doesn't sound like you have a refund coming at the moment. You may have education or other credits.

I trust this clears it up but let me know. Thanks again!