socrateaser, Lawyer
Experience:  Retired (mostly)

Im helping a couple by doing their taxes on-line. One of them

Im helping a couple by doing their taxes on-line. One of them was previously married and owes back child support and the other party qualifies for the EIC. How are the returns kept seperate when filling a joint return to maximize the benefits of the lower tax rate, the EIC, and the total deductions claimed and the first parties ex-spouse only gets the monies that she is due and not the whole return?
Category: Tax
Expert:  socrateaser replied 5 years ago.

Your client would file an Injured Spouse Allocation Form 8379 with the joint tax return. That's pretty much all there is to it. The IRS will take care of the rest.

Hope this helps.

NOTICE: My goal here is to educate others about the law. I am always available to answering your follow-up questions after you click Accept – however, if you do not click Accept, the website gets paid, and I receive nothing. This is true, even if you are on a subscription plan. So please click Accept, so that I will be able to continue to provide this service for others in the future.