Richard, Tax Attorney
Experience:  29 years of experience as a tax, real estate, and business attorney.

How am I impacted if I give part ownership of home Is it considered

How am I impacted if I give part ownership of home? Is it considered a sale? If so can I add to the value of the property at time of the transaction the cost of capital improvements made to the property before the transaction? Whether it be 1/4%, half % or 3/4% given?
Category: Tax
Expert:  Richard replied 5 years ago.

Good afternoon. If you make a gift of a ownership interest in your home, it is a gift...not a sale. As a gift, the determination is whether there is a gift tax; it is not an income tax issue. Most likely, there is no gift tax have a $13,000 annual gift exclusion PLUS you have a $5,000,000 lifetime gift exemption. So, you should be well within the exclusion and exemption to protect your from any gift tax.

I hope this has given you the guidance you were seeking. I wish you the best of luck!

If you have a follow-up question, please remember that there might be a delay between your follow up questions and my answers because I may be helping other clients or taking a break.

If I have adequately answered your question, even though the answer might not have been the one for which you hoped, I would appreciate it if you would please click the GREEN ACCEPT button so that I receive credit for my work; otherwise, though you have made a deposit, I do not receive credit.

If you need additional clarification on this question after clicking ACCEPT, please do not hesitate to click Reply and I will be happy to do what I can to help you further. Thanks for allowing me to be of service to you.

The information given here is not legal advice. As all states have different intricacies in their laws, the information given is general only. This communication does not establish an attorney-client relationship with you. I hope this answer has been helpful to you.