Experience:  over 40 years experience in tax matters

I rented my house from 1/2009 to 6/2010. At the end of the

I rented my house from 1/2009 to 6/2010. At the end of the lease, I moved back into the house. The last month of the lease my tenants trashed my house. I had to: XXXXX XXXXX of house, New Carpet, New Stove, New Dishwasher, New Window Screens New Blinds, Professional Cleaning.  Can I deduct these for repairs to my house to get back to the original condition since they occurred during the rental period? I will not be able to depreciate anything because I am not renting anymore.

Welcome to Just Answer. I am here to help you resolve your tax and finance concerns. Please feel free to ask anytime you need extra help.

You can deduct these expenses against the rent income received from the tenants on Schedule E. You are not required to claim a deduction for depreciation. These are repairs.

If you are ever audited you will be called upon to document that these repairs were necessitated by the damages done by the tenants. You should try to keep/obtain proof of this. If you are not audited it will not matter, this is to help you prepare for a worst case scenario.