Richard, Tax Attorney
Experience:  29 years of experience as a tax, real estate, and business attorney.

if someone bought a new house in march of 2010 and had lived

if someone bought a new house in march of 2010 and had lived in thier home that they still own since Aug 2005, would they qualify for the repeat home buyer credit?
Category: Tax
Expert:  Richard replied 5 years ago.

Hi there. Yes. Long-time homeowners who buy a replacement home after Nov. 6, 2009, or in early 2010 (and March 2010 qualifies) can also qualify. To qualify as a long-time resident, you must have owned and used the same home as your principal residence for at least five consecutive years of the eight-year period ending on the date you by your new principal residence.

I hope this has given you the guidance you were seeking. I wish you the best of luck!

If you have a follow-up question, please remember that there might be a delay between your follow up questions and my answers because I may be helping other clients or taking a break.

If I have adequately answered your question, even though the answer might not have been the one for which you hoped, I would appreciate it if you would please click the GREEN ACCEPT button so that I receive credit for my work; otherwise, though you have made a deposit, I do not receive credit.

If you need additional clarification on this question after clicking ACCEPT, please do not hesitate to click Reply and I will be happy to do what I can to help you further. Thanks for allowing me to be of service to you.

The information given here is not legal advice. As all states have different intricacies in their laws, the information given is general only. This communication does not establish an attorney-client relationship with you. I hope this answer has been helpful to you.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
so to qlarify, the dates are from Aug 2005 (old)- Mar 2010(new),qualifies for the credit.
Expert:  Richard replied 5 years ago.

Oh, I'm so sorry...I did not see the August that case they would not qualify because they did not satisfy the 5 year requirement!