Wendy Reed
Wendy Reed, Enrolled Agent
Experience:  15+ years tax preparation and tax advice.

A friend of mine wants to send me two gift checks in the amount

A friend of mine wants to send me two gift checks in the amount of 13,000 dollars. He says that they are not taxable and I do not have to report them due to being a gift. He says that the each check dated as Dec 23, 2010 and January 3 2011. My question is that if I deposit both this month are there any problems tax wise?
Category: Tax
Expert:  Wendy Reed replied 5 years ago.

Thank you for giving me the opportunity to assist you. I will give the best answer that I can with the information provided.

Hello there,

There are no taxes for the recipient of a gift. It is the donor's responsibility to account for amounts for that are given in case there are any gift tax consequences. He is allowed to give you $13,000 per year with no gift tax consequences. However, the fact that he is pre-dating one check and did not actually make it available to you until 2011 is bending the rules...but that is his issue, not yours.

Please let me know if you need additional assistance.