Wendy Reed
Wendy Reed, Enrolled Agent
Experience:  15+ years tax preparation and tax advice.

I am a first year (2010) freelancer and I have no clue how

I am a first year (2010) freelancer and I have no clue how to go about filing my taxes. Do I have to go to an accountant (I have been doing my own books)? If I fill out the Section C, what do I do from there? I am in Florida if that helps.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Wendy Reed replied 5 years ago.

Thank you for giving me the opportunity to assist you. I will give the best answer that I can with the information provided.

Hello there,

You are not required to use a tax professional to complete your return, although you might find it helpful.

You do need to file Schedule C, and if you have not received a 1099misc, then you will report all receipts received (income) in the gross income box. Your ordinary and reasonable expenses related to earning the income may be placed in the income boxes accordingly.

I will give you some links to publications and rules for Self-employed persons:

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thank you for your answer. What do I do with the Schedule C form when I file my taxes online on a site such as Turbo Tax, etc? Thank you.
Schedule C is a component of your tax return. If you complete it with your 1040, it will be transmitted in sequence.
If you mean that you are doing Schedule C on paper--you don't need to, you can fill out schedule C using your software or online program. The program should prompt you for correct line entries, and the program should automatically calculate your self-employment tax, if any.