Experience:  CPA with tax experience.

This should be a simple question. We inherited a chunk last

This should be a simple question.
We inherited a chunk last year and gave much more to charity - mostly religious charities. Our charitable receipts are way beyond the allowable 50% gross income. I know I can forward the excess. My question is the paperwork. On schedule A Line 16 do we put the total 2010 charitable receipts or the allowable 50% and adjust line 19 to reflect the allowable 50%. Or do we just put the maximum 50% on line 16 and next year fill in line 18 with carryover? The carryover might go on for a few years.
Category: Tax
Expert:  JKCPA replied 5 years ago.

Thanks for your question.

You would enter the limited amount of contributions which would be 50% of your AGI on line 16 of Schedule A and next year fill in line 18 for your carryover amount. The carryover will also be subject to the 50% of AGI limitation for next year. For a worksheet, see

Hope this helps!

Edited by JK_CPA on 2/1/2011 at 5:37 AM EST