Brenda Guy
Brenda Guy, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Experience:  20 years of working with income and estate tax issues for families and businesses.

My brother died 2 years ago and left a trust of which my sister

My brother died 2 years ago and left a trust of which my sister in law was the primary beneficiary. The principal assets of the trust were the home they lived in and a 20 acre vacation property with a small house on it. At the time of his death the vacation property was worth about $250,000, when he acquired it upon my father's death it was worth about $75,000 (he paid about $30,000) for the property. She is considering selling it right now for about $125,000 but is concerned about the tax implications.

I believe the tax basis should be the $250,000 value at the time of my brother's death but I am not sure.

Could you please clarify this for me.

Thank you,
Category: Tax
Expert:  Brenda Guy replied 5 years ago.

Yes, you are correct. The tax basis is $250,000. So there will be no taxable gain if she sells for $125,000 now.