Brenda Guy
Brenda Guy, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Experience:  20 years of working with income and estate tax issues for families and businesses.
52047106

Aloha - if we Lease a basic car ( $30K, $331/mo + taxes) under

Aloha - if we Lease a basic car (<$30K, $331/mo + taxes) under our S-Corporation (via a resolution approving us to do so), what of the lease amount can we deduct as a business expense - this is our only car, otherwise we live on the bus line & normally take a bus... ?
Category: Tax
Expert:  Brenda Guy replied 5 years ago.

You will be able to deduct most of the lease payment. There is a small lease add back that is determined by the value of the car using IRS tables. As long as the driver of the car is an employee of the S corp the lease deduction will be allowed.

It is also recommended that you keep a mileage log to document your business miles.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
My wife is a Clinical Psychologist, at the present time she is the sole employee of her S-Corp, I am an officer... does this affect our ability to deduct "most of the lease payment" ?
No, that should be fine.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
mahalo XXXXX XXXXX (thanks very much), Brenda