Brenda Guy
Brenda Guy, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Experience:  20 years of working with income and estate tax issues for families and businesses.
52047106

My question is about claiming my adult son who is 38 and my

My question is about claiming my adult son who is 38 and my grandaughter of 13 on my income tax as dependants. My son has been declared 100% disabled by medical professionals and the state of Texas. They both lived with me the entire year of 2010 and were pretty much reliant upon me for there support. My grandaughter started receiving disability checks in Sept. 2010 for $712.00 per month. My son's checks have been intermittent at best. I believe he only recieved 2 checks in the amount of $1300 each for one reason or another. Toal income for the two of them was apprx $ 5448. Can I claim both of them for the entire year, a partial year or is there a dollar limit based on the income both received.
Will claiming them on my income tax impact their disability payments in the future?

Based on the information you have provided I believe both your son and granddaughter qualify to be claimed as dependents by you.

You need to provide more than 50% of their support. There is no dollar limitation. So receiving the disability does not appear to provide enough to prevent you from meeting that criteria.

They must live with you. And this is true.

So yes, you can claim them for the entire year.

Claiming them as dependents will not impact their future disability payments.