Jacy, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Experience:  Nine years individual income tax preparation and consulting

Can I claim my totally disabled adult son on my taxes if he

Can I claim my totally disabled adult son on my taxes if he does not live with me? He receives SS disability through his father due to becoming disabled before age 22 and he receives SSI. I am his guardian and even though he lives separate from me; I still support him due to the fact his SS benefit only covers his rent and ultilities. I pay for everything else.

Since he does not live with you, you may be able to claim him as a dependent if he is your qualifying relative. To meet this test, you must provide more than half of his support and his taxable gross income must be less than $3,650. The SSDI and SSI are not taxable so they don't count for this rule. You will need to add up the total cost of his support to determine if you pay the larger share.

Thank you for your question,

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
SSDI and SSI count as outside support; right? So; if I show I pay more than what he receives from SSDI and SSI I can claim him?

Yes, if you pay more than the total he receives in income, then you can claim him.

Thanks again,

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Do food stamps count as income?

Since food is counted in the support calculation, then yes, the amount he received in food stamps is added to the amount he paid for his own support (his ssi and ssdi).

Hope this makes sense,