Richard, Tax Attorney
Experience:  29 years of experience as a tax, real estate, and business attorney.

can i claim myself as a dependent on my tax return. on my paperwork

Customer Question

can i claim myself as a dependent on my tax return. on my paperwork when it says put a 1 in the box to claim yourself. so when i file my taxes do i claim myself
Category: Tax
Expert:  Richard replied 5 years ago.

Good evening. Yes, you get to claim yourself. No worries.

I hope this has given you the guidance you were seeking. I wish you the best of luck!

If you have a follow-up question, please remember that there might be a delay between your follow up questions and my answers because I may be helping other clients or taking a break.

If I have adequately answered your question, even though the answer might not have been the one for which you hoped, I would appreciate it if you would please click the GREEN ACCEPT button so that I receive credit for my work; otherwise, though you have made a deposit, I do not receive credit.

If you need additional clarification on this question after clicking ACCEPT, please do not hesitate to click Reply and I will be happy to do what I can to help you further. Thanks for allowing me to be of service to you.

The information given here is not legal advice. As all states have different intricacies in their laws, the information given is general only. This communication does not establish an attorney-client relationship with you. I hope this answer has been helpful to you.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
when i started my job an filed the paperwork it said to claim yourself put a 1 in the box so that is what i did. no one else can claim me on taxes. an it makes a major difference in my return. without claiming myself i will get roughly $450 back but if i claim myself i get $1750. so it is greatly needed. when i file do i have to put anything else as far as claiming myself. or just put 1 in the box an not worry about the rest.
Expert:  Richard replied 5 years ago.
All you need do is put 1 in the box.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
i tried to do that but it doesnt give me the option to put a 1 in the box. when i click on add dependent it asks me for the name an other information an it wont let me claim because it says the SSN's match.
Expert:  Richard replied 5 years ago.
I'm not sure what software you are using...but you can claim yourself. Some software programs automatically claim you as one and then have a separate box for additional dependents. You want to make sure that the software isn't counting you already so that if you put the 1 in the other box you would be actually trying to claim two.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
i am currently using the H&R block free service. should i choose something different or should i just take my information in an have someone else do it
Expert:  Richard replied 5 years ago.
I would either use TurboTax or take it to someone. :)
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
i will go and try that now. also can i claim my girlfriend if she files and says that i do. we live together an i provide more then half of her income
Expert:  Richard replied 5 years ago. are not going to be able to claim her...sorry.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
well i tried turbotax as well an it doesnt let me do it either.. it makes me fill out all the information about myself again an then says
Dependent Information Worksheet: Dependent's SSN should not be the same as the Taxpayer's SSN
Expert:  Richard replied 5 years ago.
Then, it must already be counting you. Go through it and then print out your return, and it will likely have the one dependent...because on your return, there are two separate put 1 in one for yourself and another 1 in another box is you have another one.