Lev, Tax Advisor
Experience:  Taxes, Immigration, Labor Relations

i am looking to sell covered call contracts on several thousand

Customer Question

i am looking to sell covered call contracts on several thousand shares of stock. the calls expire in 18 months. am i right that i will record the income for tax purposes associated with writing these covered calls when they expire in 18 months and not when i actually receive the money when the calls are written?

as a follow up: i am looking to buy add'l shares in the same company with the proceeds from writing these calls. if, at the end of the contracts, the shares value of drops relative to my purchase price (and I sell the shares to realize the loss), can I take this loss against the capital gain income from writing the covered call contracts?
Category: Tax
Expert:  Lindie-mod replied 5 years ago.

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I'm a Moderator for JustAnswer.

Thanks for your question! This is not a request for more information and I apologize if this message caused you any confusion.

I'm sorry that you haven't received an answer yet. Most questions are responded to within the hour, but this can depend on different factors, including the difficulty of your question, how many questions are being posted by customers, whether or not this type of question can be answered in an online forum and how many Experts are on the site at the time your question posts.

I will go ahead and try to find an Expert to assist you with your question and appreciate your patience. You will receive an email notification when an Expert replies to you, just as you did here. Unfortunately, I can not guarantee a time-frame for which yours will be answered and I apologize a head of time if the wait is longer than expected.

Please do not reply to this message unless you do not need further help. If that is the case, please let me know and I can assist you with that. When you reply, it locks out the question from the Experts and will slow down their response time to you. If they need more information, they will let you know.

Please remember that if you get a satisfactory answer from your Expert to click the green accept button so the Expert is compensated for a job well done. Positive feedback is appreciated by them also. :)

If you have any questions regarding deposits or billing, please feel free to use the help link below:

Expert:  Lev replied 5 years ago.

The call (either covered or not) is the right to buy shares at the strike price.

As for the writer - the sale of the call has no tax effect.

If the contract expires - the writer's gain is the premium received - and is recognized at that time - so you are correct.

If you purchase shares to cover the call - and do not sell shares - there is no capital gain or loss recognized. When you sell shares with the loss - you will recognize a capital loss at that time.

Your capital losses will generally offset capital gains realized during the same tax year.

Let me know if you need any help.