socrateaser, Lawyer
Experience:  Retired (mostly)
10097515

I will begin receiving social security benefits in April, 2011.

I will begin receiving social security benefits in April, 2011. Mywife and I file a joint return and have other retirement income of $63,315.24. The social security amount will be about $1362 per month. What would our tax liability be for 2011?
Category: Tax
Expert:  socrateaser replied 6 years ago.
Assuming that both you and your spouse are 65+ and that your retirement income is taxable, then your total tax, given only a standard deduction, married filing jointly, and $16,344 in income, your federal tax would be $8,574.

Hope this helps.

NOTICE: My goal is to assist people who cannot afford traditional legal services. Without your contribution, I will be unable to continue to help others in this forum. I am always available to answering your follow-up questions after you click Accept – however, if you do not click Accept, the website gets paid, and I receive nothing. This is true, even if you are on a subscription plan. So please click Accept, so that I will be able to continue to provide this service for others in the future.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

I AM 62 AND MY SPOUSE IS 61. WE HAVE SERS, OPERS, AND BALL CORP. RETIREMENT INCOME.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

INFORMATION FOR 61 AND 62 YEAR OLDS IN 2011. NEITHER OF US ARE 65 YET.

$8,582.