Richard, Tax Attorney
Experience:  29 years of experience as a tax, real estate, and business attorney.
17027240

Im 62 years old married my wife is 44 years old we have a

Customer Question

I'm 62 years old married my wife is 44 years old we have a 7 year old daughter we live in Staten Island NY.
I might have to retire as a take over of my employer is taking place (NBCU by ComCast). I would like to move to a tax friendly state.
My SS would be $1700.00 monthly and my GE pension would total $2500.00 monthly I also have $138,000.00 in a 401k plan. I own a home but I owe more than it's worth right now due to the bad realestate market after paying realtor fees and what I owe on a 2nd mtg. I might break out even at best.
Am I better off living in a State like Alabama with an Income tax but where at 65 I would pay no property taxes with a young wife and child as dependents? Or a State like Texas with no Income tax at all but pay $4,000 a year in property tax on a home worth around $240,000 in a middle class area?
So in short, where do I come ahead on paying the least amount of taxes?
Thank you and have a happy holiday.
Bob Dunat; XXX@XXXXXX.XXX
Category: Tax
Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.

Good morning. You really do not want to live in a state like Texas where the state revenue is generated by a property tax rather than an income tax because when you are retired, your income is less. Think of it this way...if you have a $1,000,000 that you have managed to save, if you put it in any other asset than a home, then you don't pay a tax on the asset itself, but if you put it in a home, you have a tax on it....it's like having a permanent mortgage. You are far better to move to a state like Florida and Nevada with no income tax, but that generates their revenue from tourism and don't need to hit the residents.

I hope this has given you the guidance you were seeking. I wish you the best of luck!

If you have a follow-up question, please remember that there might be a delay between your follow up questions and my answers because I may be helping other clients or taking a break.

If I have adequately answered your question, even though the answer might not have been the one for which you hoped, I would appreciate it if you would please click the GREEN ACCEPT button so that I receive credit for my work; otherwise, though you have made a deposit, I do not receive credit.

If you need additional clarification on this question after clicking ACCEPT, please do not hesitate to click Reply and I will be happy to do what I can to help you further. Thanks for allowing me to be of service to you.

The information given here is not legal advice. As all states have different intricacies in their laws, the information given is general only. This communication does not establish an attorney-client relationship with you. I hope this answer has been helpful to you.

Richard, Tax Attorney
Experience: 29 years of experience as a tax, real estate, and business attorney.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
But what about Alabama would they tax my GE pension and SS?
Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.

I'm so sorry for the delay...some pre-Christmas errands.

If you go to the following website, it will give you the lowdown not only on Alabama taxes and cost of living, but every other state as well.... http://retirementliving.com/RLstate1.html

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I know the web site but it's not clear on personal pensions. it's important that my GE pension in not taxed.
Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.
Can you tell me more about your pension specifically?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Because I have 28 years with NBC our parent company GE will automatically retire me the day after the closing of the sale of NBC to ComCast. So I can receive my GE pension and still work full time in my current position at NBC once ComCast takes over. Providing they don't lay me off which is always a possibility!

My GE pension benefit has a personal & Voluntary pension account....

GE Pension Benefit monthly annuity is: $3,281.67 with a reg. supplement payable to age 62 of $376.47. (I will be 63 in May 2011).

Personal & Voluntary pension account:... If I convert the bal. to an annual annuity the monthly annuity is: $446.14 or if I take a withdrawal of the bal. it would be $69,754.15.

My comined GE retirement income if I convert my PPA/VPA would total a monthly annuity of $4,104.28 If I take a withdrawal of my PPA/VPA $69,754.15 monthly annuity would be $3,658.14

I contribute as of this date 12/24/10 $2,341.80 of my own money into my retirement account yearly, my salary as of this date is $150,682.30. My X Spouse of 23 years of marrage would receive approx. $640.00 a month until my death.

Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.
Is this a defined benefit plan?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes, Thats it...It will not grow any further and is payable on 1/1/11 or when ComCast closes.

Merry Christmas to you and your family.

Bob

Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.

Thank you. XXXXX pension plan is specifically exempt from Alabama income tax. It is specifically on the list of pension plans exempt. See http://www.ador.alabama.gov/incometax/DEFINEDBEN.pdf

Thanks so much! And, Merry Christmas to you and your family as well! Take care Bob!

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thank you so much for your help. I will use you again.
Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.
You're welcome. :)