CGCPA
CGCPA, CPA
Experience:  over 40 years experience in tax matters
50756543

I am adopting a child. I have a child that I already adopted

I am adopting a child. I have a child that I already adopted in 2010 and now I am adopting a 2nd. As well as I have 3 of my own children. I am a single mom and I live off of my disability and child support and adoption assistance. ONe of the adoptions are final in 2010 and I have a new ssn card in her new name. I will be claiming the new adoption credit for 2010. It will be refundable to me bacause she is considered special needs, so I beleive I will be getting that money back. My other question is, the second adoption is almost final. She has live with me for 6 months this year. I have her ssn, but it is still in her origial name. If the final paperwork is not quite done, can I still claim her on my taxes and can I claim the adoption credit? If so, can I just use her current ssn with her current name on it to file. I have all the paperwork if it was needed. The only thing we are waiting on is the adoption ceremony. So mostly the adoption is final. Can I claim her on my 2010 taxes?
Category: Tax
Expert:  CGCPA replied 6 years ago.

Welcome to Just Answer. I am here to help you resolve your tax and finance concerns. Please feel free to ask anytime you need extra help.

I would claim her as my dependent and take the adoption credit. She qualifies in that she has been in your care and support for at least 6 months this year.You have a defensible position if it is ever questioned.

One thing people often misunderstand is that a person's Social Security number stays with them for life. The name on the card may change but the number stays. There are a few instances where this is different but they are rather rare.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thankyou