Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4
Experience:  15years with H & R Block. Divisional leader, Instructor
14155347

If my daughter was diagnosed with allergies this year and the

Customer Question

If my daughter was diagnosed with allergies this year and the allergist recommended removing our carpet and replacing with hardwood floors, can I claim any of the cost to get reimbursed by my Health Care Flex Spending Account?
Category: Tax
Expert:  Robin D. replied 6 years ago.

Robin D :

Hello and thank you for using Just Answer.

JACUSTOMER-u4y3a629- :

Hi

JACUSTOMER-u4y3a629- :

I received an email saying that an answer was posted but I do not see anything yet. Am I missing something?

Robin D :

Here is a copy of my answer
Some plans do not reimburse capital expenses, even though they may be qualified expenses. Examples of capital expenses include, but are not limited to, exercise equipment, removal of lead-based paint, air conditioner, air purifier, mattresses, pillows or vacuums, water filters, automobile modifications for physically handicapped individuals, home improvements such as exit ramps, widening doorways, etc. to accommodate physically handicapped individuals.
You will need to check with your specific plan to see if they allow capital improvements to be included.
If they do not then you can use the cost as a medical on your Schedule A. The cost of permanent improvements that increase the value of your property may be partly included as a medical expense. The cost of the improvement is reduced by the increase in the value of your property. The difference is a medical expense. If the value of your property is not increased by the improvement, the entire cost is included as a medical expense.

Expert:  Robin D. replied 6 years ago.

I do not know what happened but I will copy my answer here again for you,