How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask BK-CPA Your Own Question
BK-CPA, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 933
Experience:  Owner of a CPA firm
Type Your Tax Question Here...
BK-CPA is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a part time retirement service that requires me travel

Resolved Question:

I have a part time retirement service that requires me travel to distant work locations. My stay could be from 2 weeks to 3 mouths. Lodging is usually furnished once I arrive but the travel to and from is my expense.
My question is what tax advantage would I have if I purchased a used travel trailer for lodging to and from the location.
I have taken a big hunk of retirement money out and taxes will do on 2010 forms.
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  BK-CPA replied 5 years ago.

Hello and thank you for your question.


This question is going to come down to specific facts and circumstances related to your case. I will be happy to help point you in the right direction.


Self-employed individuals have the option to claim deductions for expenses that are ordinary and necessary in their course of business (IRC 162). The travel seems necessary and ordinary, so yes, you will be allowed deductions if that is the case.


There are two common methods for claiming travel and meal/entertainment deductions. All people may use the actual method (ie... what are your actual costs?), but self-employed individuals may not use what is called the per diem method with respect to travel costs (Rev Proc 93-50). Meals/entertainment may be deducted using the per diem method or actual method for both self-employed and employee taxpayers. Both employees and self-employed persons may also use the standard mileage rate or actual costs with respect to auto useage.


Here is an IRS pub relating to the standard mileage rate:


Here is an IRS pub relating to per diem:


This is useful for per diem rates:



Now, with respect to your purchase. Should you purchase something that is not ordinary and necessary in the course or your business, you may end up with a (partially) non-deductible item. Some items are referred to as listed property. In a nutshell, you are going to have to keep track of the personal and business use percentages of the trailor should you wish to go that route.


If your lodging costs are covered under normal circumstances, and prudence dictates something to the effect of a very small gas-friendly car for business purposes, the argument that you need a trailor starts to fall sim. You could take a business use percentage (based on miles driven) or perhaps the standard mileage reimbursement for your travel, but not likely lodging for the time your lodging is covered.


To summarize, keep records. Determine, based on your personal facts and circumstances, if the trailor would be deductible based on the ordinary and necessary expense standards and business use % of the trailor (I wish I could do this for you over JustAnswers, but that would not be responsible of me or good for you). From there, figure out your deductions using both the standard rate method and the actual expenses (ie... repairs, gas, insurance, depreciation, applied/allocated per % of business use). Choose the method of deduction that works best, XXXXX XXXXX consistency requirements (ie... you may not be able to flip back and forth between the standard mileage and actual methods depending on / from year to year etc.).


Here is IRC 162, for reference:


IRC 179 and IRC 168(k) bonus depreciation provide some up-front write-off to perhaps assist with your pension income too, but these will be based on the % business use and other specifics of your trailor, as well as your general tax circumstances (ie... is this a business you materially participate in and have a loss?, etc.).



Let me know if there is something more that I can clarify. Thank you for your question.

Edited by BK-CPA on 12/2/2010 at 7:33 PM EST
BK-CPA, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 933
Experience: Owner of a CPA firm
BK-CPA and 2 other Tax Specialists are ready to help you

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • I really was impressed with the prompt response. Your expert was not only a tax expert, but a people expert!!! Her genuine and caring attitude came across in her response... T.G.W Matteson, IL
< Previous | Next >
  • I really was impressed with the prompt response. Your expert was not only a tax expert, but a people expert!!! Her genuine and caring attitude came across in her response... T.G.W Matteson, IL
  • I WON!!! I just wanted you to know that your original answer gave me the courage and confidence to go into yesterday's audit ready to fight. Bonnie Chesnee, SC
  • Great service. Answered my complex tax question in detail and provided a lot of additional useful information for my specific situation. John Minneapolis, MN
  • Excellent information, very quick reply. The experts really take the time to address your questions, it is well worth the fee, for the peace of mind they can provide you with. Orville Hesperia, California
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C. Freshfield, Liverpool, UK
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex Los Angeles, CA
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP Hesperia, CA

Meet The Experts:

  • Wallstreet Esq.

    Wallstreet Esq.

    Tax Attorney

    Satisfied Customers:

    10 years experience
< Last | Next >
  • Wallstreet Esq.'s Avatar

    Wallstreet Esq.

    Tax Attorney

    Satisfied Customers:

    10 years experience
  • Mark D's Avatar

    Mark D

    Enrolled Agent

    Satisfied Customers:

    MBA, EA, Specializing in Business and Individual Tax Returns and Issues
  • Richard's Avatar


    Tax Attorney

    Satisfied Customers:

    29 years of experience as a tax, real estate, and business attorney.
  • Robin D.'s Avatar

    Robin D.

    Senior Tax Advisor 4

    Satisfied Customers:

    15years with H & R Block. Divisional leader, Instructor
  • Megan C's Avatar

    Megan C

    Certified Public Accountant (CPA)

    Satisfied Customers:

    Licensed CPA, CFE, CMA, CGMA who teaches accounting courses at Master's Level
  • jgordosea's Avatar


    Enrolled Agent

    Satisfied Customers:

    I've prepared all types of taxes since 1987.
  • R. Klein, EA's Avatar

    R. Klein, EA

    Enrolled Agent

    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 20 Years experience