Wendy Reed
Wendy Reed, Enrolled Agent
Experience:  15+ years tax preparation and tax advice.
753989

IF I SELL MY SECOND RESIDENCE, WHICH IS OUT OF STATE IN NEVADA,

IF I SELL MY SECOND RESIDENCE, WHICH IS OUT OF STATE IN NEVADA, WHAT ARE THE TAX CONSEQUENSES? CAN SOME OF THE MONEY BE USED TO PAY DOWN A HOME EQUITY LINE OF CREDIT ON MY FIRST HOME AND REDUCE ANY TAX LIABILITY? MY PRIMARY RESIDENCE IS IN ARIZONA.
THANK YOU

Thank you for giving me the opportunity to assist you. I will give the best answer that I can with the information provided.

As you probably know, there is no state income tax in Nevada--so no income tax consequences there.

As far as the sale, since this is a secondary residence, you are not able to avoid or defer any capital gains on the property, even if you use money to pay down a home equity line on your first home.

Presuming that the property was not used for business or a rental, your capital gain will be calculated as sale price minus selling expenses minus basis (usually original cost plus improvements). The federal capital gain tax for long term property is max 15% in 2010. 2011 is set to be max of 20%, but Congress may extend the 15% rate---they are wrangling about it right now as a matter of fact. You will also be subject to regular Arizona state income tax rates on your gain (2.59-4.54%)

Please let me know if you need additional help or information.