William Ellis, CPA
William Ellis, CPA, CPA
Experience:  Over 15 years of experience in public accounting

My employer wants me to get an IT certification to support

My employer wants me to get an IT certification to support a new product my company is selling. I work as a sales engineer supporting this product. My employer will pay for a training class, but I will need to purchase several computer servers to practice on prior to taking the certification test. My question is is the cost of the computers I need for practicetax deductible as a training espense? Can I write them off on my taxes?

William Ellis, CPA :

Good afternoon and thanks for letting us assist you. Yes, you can deduct the cost of the servers as an itemized deduction. The deduction will be lowered by 2% of your AGI (adjusted gross income). Later, if you sell the servers, you'll need to show that income. I hope this helps, Bill Ellis.

Customer :

Thanks Bill. That's exactly what I needed