How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask William Ellis, CPA Your Own Question
William Ellis, CPA
William Ellis, CPA, CPA
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 296
Experience:  Over 15 years of experience in public accounting
Type Your Tax Question Here...
William Ellis, CPA is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

If a home in NJ is owned by H & W and the wifes mother is

This answer was rated:

If a home in NJ is owned by H & W and the wife's mother is also on the deed, but does not pay the real estate taxes nor claim the property tax deduction then can the 100% property tax deduction be taken by the H&W on their joint tax return?

William Ellis, CPA :

Good afternoon and thank you for letting us assist you. If the couple are paying the tax, they should be able to claim the deduction. The only sticking point would be if the mortgage and taxes are in the mother's name. I hope this helps, Bill Ellis.

William Ellis, CPA and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you

Thank you. I'd appreciate it if you would post some positive Expert feedback. Thanks, Bill.