Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4
Experience:  15years with H & R Block. Divisional leader, Instructor

I have til Tuesday, Nov. 16th to pay my property taxes which

Customer Question

I have til Tuesday, Nov. 16th to pay my property taxes which total about $700.00. I have been having employment difficulties lately. I am looking for items around the house that I can pawn or sell. Is there any kind of grace period or other options to help me?
Category: Tax
Expert:  Robin D. replied 3 years ago.

Hello and thank you for using Just Answer.

I understand your situation and wish it were different for you and your grandchildren.

The state of West Virginia has a penalty for the late payment of property taxes.

Here is their statute on late payments:

§11A-1-3. Accrual; time for payment; interest on delinquent taxes.
(a) All current taxes assessed on real and personal property may be paid in two installments. The first installment shall be payable on September first of the year for which the assessment is made, and shall become delinquent on October first; the second installment shall be payable on the first day of the following March and shall become delinquent on April first. Taxes paid on or before the date when they are payable, including both first and second installments, shall be subject to a discount of two and one- half percent. If taxes are not paid on or before the date on which they become delinquent, including both first and second installments, interest at the rate of nine percent per annum shall be added from the date they become delinquent until paid.

So you will be assessed a higher amount for the taxes if they are not paid in time.

The tax code of the state did have this provision:

(d) The tax commissioner may promulgate legislative rules to provide for the payment of tax liability by installment payments other than those prescribed in subsection (a) of this section.

The above means that you could speak to the tax commissioner in your county and see if they will accept a payment plan for your taxes.

I do not know if this will help but with so many others in the same situation I am sure the tax commissioner has been approached about this before.

I sincerely XXXXX XXXXX information is helpful and best of wishes,