Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4
Experience:  15years with H & R Block. Divisional leader, Instructor

Do you need to file a TPT-1 tax form for a rental property

I have a rental home in El mirage, Arizona and i recently sued the city because they wanted me to pay the past due water bill that my previous tenant had left behind. Now the city is saying that i need to file for a Transaction Privilege Tax License (which i got) and file monthly TPT-1 returns for sales tax collected from my rental. My question is do i need to file this TPT-1 return? I spoke with a representative at the State Revenue Dept of Arizona and they said that for rentals in el mirage no TPT-1 return is needed to be filed. Also, i have been reporting my rental income on my income tax so everything has been good at that end. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Hello and thank you for using Just Answer.

According to the website for El Mirage your rental activity is subject to sales tax.

• All rental property owners, property management companies or brokers that do not file for a business license will be in violation of the city code and could face a penalty.
  • All rental property must be registered with the Maricopa County Assessor's Office. Failure to register a rental with the County could result in penalties and other consequences as provided in A.R.S. § 42-12052. It is against the law to rent property before it is registered as Class 4 Property with Maricopa County as provided in A.R.S. § 42-15103.
  • All rental income is subject to sales tax. The Arizona Department of Revenue collects the sales tax for the City of El Mirage. You must obtain a Transaction Privilege Tax license and submit a copy of the license with your business license application.

I do not know who you spoke with in the state revenue office but El Mirage is specific about the sales tax for rental property.

Here is a link to the city's site:

I sincerely XXXXX XXXXX information is helpful,