Brenda Guy
Brenda Guy, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Experience:  20 years of working with income and estate tax issues for families and businesses.
52047106

I had to cash in my 401k. Now my income for 2010 will be highly

I had to cash in my 401k ($200k) to pay off debt. Now my income for 2010 will be highly elevated and I will be paying a ton in taxes. Before the end of December rolls around, is there something I can do to pay less taxes?
Category: Tax
Expert:  Brenda Guy replied 3 years ago.

Brenda Guy :

Unfortunately, there is not much that can be done to the magnitude. Did they withhold anything at all from the distribution?

Brenda Guy :

You can do the regular year end tax planning things. However, they all involve spending money.

Brenda Guy :

If you are still working get back into the 401(k) with the maximum contribution through the end of the year. Clean out your closets and donate to charity.

Brenda Guy :

Are you over 591/2? If not there will be a 10% penalty on top of the tax.

Brenda Guy :

Do you have any assets you can sell?

Brenda Guy :

Can you borrow against your home?

Customer:

WE have upped our donations and we placed $75k of the balance in a liquid account. 42 years old.

What Happens Now?

Your chat has ended, but you can still work with your Expert to get an answer to your question if you have not yet received one.

Come back to this page at any time to see additional information from your Expert.  You will also receive an email when your question is updated.  If you want to send a message to your Expert, use the box below.

If you have already received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Accept button above.  Experts are credited for each accepted answer they provide.

I am glad to see you set some money aside to pay taxes.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I just didn't know if a property purchase or something of that nature would reduce my taxes.

No, a property purchase will not reduce your taxes. When you purchase property the cost is capitalized until you sell it or in the case of a rental depreciated over 271/2 years.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Gotcha..... Thank you for the answers. I just didn't want something to slip by, if I could make a difference prior to Dec 31. Wish Obama was giving some sort of break for people in this economy that need to access their 401k to survive.
I echo your wish. It would be nice if people could really get help.
Experience: 20 years of working with income and estate tax issues for families and businesses.