William Ellis, CPA
William Ellis, CPA, CPA
Experience:  Over 15 years of experience in public accounting
50200401

To make an LLC less likely to be disregarded by the IRS or

To make an LLC less likely to be disregarded by the IRS or a creditor would it be advantageous to make my wife a 50% partner of the LLC instead of being the sole owner? If not, would I be able to make another person a 1% owner to avoid the same problem?
Category: Tax
Expert:  William Ellis, CPA replied 3 years ago.

William Ellis, CPA :

This one came to me first. Are you looking for other experts' opinions?

Customer:

no

Customer:

I don't know why it went out to everybody

Customer:

I just sent it to you

Customer:

do you have an answer?

William Ellis, CPA :

Don't worry about it. It really wouldn't matter either way. If you put someone besides your wife in at 1%, that's 1% of the income that you won't have. I'd still go with the partnership approach, so you won't have to file as a C-Corp. Filing as a C-Corp means there will be corporate income tax, and the funds beyond your salary that are taken as distributions will be taxed as dividends. This is not the case with a partnership.

Customer:

But would the IRS and creditors disregard it if my wife was the partner?

William Ellis, CPA :

No, they would not.

William Ellis, CPA :

But, an LLC would be considered a C-Corp unless you elect to have it treated as an S-Corp. Either way, you'll have more issues doing this than if you form an LLP.

Customer:

Please read that those last two sentences you just wrote.

Customer:

How would an LLC be treated like an S-corp?

Customer:

Remember, my existing S-corp is an insurance agency and is separate.

William Ellis, CPA :

Forming an LLC with more than one member makes it a corporation. Every corporation is a C-Corp unless you elect to be treated as an S-Corp.

William Ellis, CPA :

Do you have any more questions about an LLC?

Customer:

you there?

William Ellis, CPA :

I'm back now. Just finished eating with my daughter in my lap.

William Ellis, CPA :

Do you have any other questions?

Customer:

If the LLC elected to be taxed as an S-Corp will it be subject to the dissolving provision if it derives more than 25% of its income from rents (passive income)?

William Ellis, CPA :

You're right. I was talking about general tax issues. Sounds like you need to treat the LLC like a partnership. Thanks again, Bill.

William Ellis, CPA, CPA
Experience: Over 15 years of experience in public accounting