Richard, Tax Attorney
Experience:  29 years of experience as a tax, real estate, and business attorney.
17027240

We would like to transfer money from our oversea back to a

Customer Question

We would like to transfer money from our oversea back to a U.S. bank and use the money to payoff our mortgage. What are the tax consequence on the money transfer from oversea bank?
Category: Tax
Expert:  Richard replied 4 years ago.

Hi there. Simply transferring money from one account to another does not create tax liability. The bank is required to disclose the transfer, but it does not create a tax liability.

I hope this has given you the guidance you were seeking. I wish you the best of luck!

If you have a follow-up question, please remember that there might be a delay between your follow up questions and my answers because I may be helping other clients or taking a break.

If I have adequately answered your question, even though the answer might not have been the one for which you hoped, I would appreciate it if you would please click the GREEN ACCEPT button so that I receive credit for my work; otherwise, though you have made a deposit, I do not receive credit.

If you need additional clarification on this question after clicking ACCEPT, please do not hesitate to click Reply and I will be happy to do what I can to help you further. Thanks for allowing me to be of service to you.

The information given here is not legal advice. As all states have different intricacies in their laws, the information given is general only. This communication does not establish an attorney-client relationship with you. I hope this answer has been helpful to you.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I still need a few clarification:

(1) Is the bank disclosure included in the annual interest report? If the money transfered from oversea bank is more than $300K, will IRS question where the money come from?

(2) If we have the money transfer in 2010 and use it payoff our mortage in 2010, when we fill our 2010 1040 return, do we need disclose anything related to the money transfer?

Expert:  Richard replied 4 years ago.

1) No, it's not a tax issue. Although a $300,000 wire transfer will be disclosed and possibly result in some attention, it will not result in tax to you.

2) You need make no disclosure on your 1040. The financial institutions involved int he wire transfer will file the requisite disclosures.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thanks.