Richard, Tax Attorney
Experience:  29 years of experience as a tax, real estate, and business attorney.
17027240

What are some common legal entities used for operating a business

What are some common legal entities used for operating a business? What types of business entities does the U.S. tax system recognize? What are tax and nontax advantages of business entities recognized by the tax system?

Good evening...Here are the primary entities used in the U.S....

Sole proprietorship....no limited liability, single owner, owner pays tax by reporting operations on Schedule C of 1040.

Limited Liability company....limited liability, great flexibility, flow through entity---entity files return but doesn't pay tax--rather it is allocated to owners through K-1

S corporation ....pretty much identical to limited liability company, but a bit less flexibility regarding preferential distributions, allocations of income and losses, and classes of members

C corporation...limited liability...no flow through entity--pays its own tax

I hope this has given you the guidance you were seeking. I wish you the best of luck!

If you have a follow-up question, please remember that there might be a delay between your follow up questions and my answers because I may be helping other clients or taking a break.

If I have adequately answered your question, even though the answer might not have been the one for which you hoped, I would appreciate it if you would please click the GREEN ACCEPT button so that I receive credit for my work; otherwise, though you have made a deposit, I do not receive credit.

If you need additional clarification on this question after clicking ACCEPT, please do not hesitate to click Reply and I will be happy to do what I can to help you further. Thanks for allowing me to be of service to you.

The information given here is not legal advice. As all states have different intricacies in their laws, the information given is general only. This communication does not establish an attorney-client relationship with you. I hope this answer has been helpful to you.